Thursday, January 19, 2023

Welcome to the weird and wonderful life of a geek

Seeing that this is my first posting on an all new blog, I though I first give you a background on me, the blogger. I am a BioTech professional (read GEEK) that grew up on popular culture. By that I mean feeding myself a staple of Saturday morning cartoons, comic books from Marvel, DC and a host of independant companies, SciFi, the works. I have always had a passion for the out-wordly, so it was no surprise that my first major love was Star Wars. The madness started when I was just 5 years of age. It was one of the first big screen experiences for me with my dad and mum (who are also rabid Star Wars , Vader in particular). From then on I soaked up everything Star Wars, from joining the official Star Wars fan club and receiving an autographed picture of my hero, Mark Hamill, and the newsletters titled Bantha Tracks, coloring books, to the action figures, vehicles, comics. Still have some of the original action figures from my childhood. Just wished mum hadn't chucked out my beat up X Wing!

As I got older, I indulged in other genres not so distant from the galaxy far far away. My constant companions through my youth were mutants (X-Men), human's with enhanced abilities (Batman, Ironman) and aliens with extraordinary abilities (Superman and Green Lantern, Optimus Prime and his Autobots). I tried to get my hands on anything my amazing parents could afford. I must confess I was very lucky as my dad and mum supported my lust for such geek sundry. With their blessings, I collected action figures (I still have my original, cast in metal G1 Optimus Prime, Hound, Jazz and some Insecticons). However, being a kid, you always wanted more.....

When I graduated from university and obtained my PhD, I finally had a disposable income. With this I started doings things I only dreamt of as a child and teen. I attended comic conventions (and yes I have cosplayed on a few occasions as farmboy Luke Skywalker, Glenn Rhee from The Walking Dead and my all time favourite Tony Stark from Ironman 3), bought collectible figurines and autographed paraphernalia, limited run comic books and even met and talked to some of my cildhood, and adulthood heroes. So yes this blog is all about my journey into the fandom......the quest to be the ultimate geek. Will you join me on this crazy mad capped journey? As Arnie in the Terminator would say "Come with me if you want to live :)"


1 comment: